Project partners “Green Path towards Sustainable Development”
Norway: The Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities – KS
Romania: National Administration of Meteorology, Sibiu City Hall, Brasov City Hall, Tg. Mures City Hall and "Lucian Blaga" University of Sibiu.
The funding request has been prepared together with the main partner: The Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities, KS, Norway, Identification number 971032146, Address: P.O. Box, 1378, Vika, Zip code: 0114, Oslo, http://www.ks.no. KS is the Norwegian project coordinator.
Contact person: Gunnbjorg Naavik, Special Advisor, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Telephone:+47 24 13 26 00, Mobil:+47 90 89 33 23, Fax: +47 22 83 22 22
KS is a national organization whose members are practically all 430 Norwegian municipalities. KS negotiates with employers and governments, acting for the members as a spokesperson and advocate as well in dealing with the national government.
The main objective of the organization is to strengthen local democracy. Starting 1990, alongside with the regional and local authorities, it has provided support and facilitated the elaboration and proper implementation of an environmental and sustainability policy.
KS managed to have an impressive number of projects on environment and climate change already implemented along with several ministries - The Ministry of the Environment, The Ministry of Transport and Communications and also with the Local Government and of Regional Development. “Cities of the Future / Orasele viitorului” is still in progress, it has not been fully implemented yet, climate change adaptation being part thereof.
KS currently benefits from considerable experience in the field of international cooperation - in Europe, the Balkans, Russia and developing countries as well - being member of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR) and also of the European Centre of Employers and Enterprises providing Public Services (CEEP).
Alongside KS, two more donor state partners will be involved in the project implementation: The Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection (DSB) and The Western Norway Research Institute (Vestlandsforsking), as well as other relevant Norwegian authorities like: municipalities, universities, NGOs etc.
The main partner provided for constant advice and support for project proposal preparation, has organized three information visits in Romania after signing the Memorandum of Understanding, providing assistance and advice to the beneficiary and attending meetings, dialogues with the Programme Operator, with The Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change and The National Focal Point, The Ministry of European Affairs. The main partner also attended and got involved in debates and presentations related to ACC – during a meeting organized by APM Sibiu for those interested factors within the Centre region no. 7, namely from the vulnerable sectors identified at the level of the two municipalities where the project is to be implemented.
KS shall conclude a Partnership Agreement with the Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection – Department for Climate Change Adaptation in Norway, whose expert-members have also attended the information visit organized in Sibiu, enriching the event here with presentations and specific advice. The partner’s expertise and useful knowledge in the field of international projects and, not least, all the aspects related to climate change will contribute to meeting the aims of the pre-defined project. In partnership with KS, APM Sibiu has already implemented a 2.4 million euros’ project, financed by means of the Norwegian Cooperation Program for Economic Growth and Sustainable Development via Norway Grants, during the first round of funding.
The main partner will involve a series of Norwegian experts in various specific training sessions and in the process of delivering the agreed municipal strategies and objectives, in study visits and drafting guides and guidelines.
The National Administration of Meteorology - Address: Bucharest-Ploiesti, No. 97, Sector 1, Bucharest, acting as follows within this project:
- shall develop 4 meteorological surveys to support plans for adaptation to climate change at regional level, namely in the three municipalities: Sibiu, Tg. Mures, Brasov. Similarly, this is the body responsible for purchasing, testing and commissioning of 3 state-of-the-art automated weather stations (AWS) to allow accurate measurement and monitoring of the meteorological parameters within the defined area. These AWS stations shall further on be integrated as part of the national meteorological network
- shall elaborate the guide for adaptation to climate change in the field of agricultural technology
The activity carried out in this project will contribute to achieving the main objective by developing strategies and action plans in the field of climate change adaptation at the level of the three instanced municipalities.
Sibiu City Hall - Address: Sibiu, S. Brukenthal Str., No. 2, acting as follows within this project:
- provides for relevant information in order to have local strategies elaborated and the action plan concerning climate changes in Sibiu as well. Consequent to drafting the above-mentioned action plan, the municipality shall make all necessary arrangements in order to get additional approval prior to its implementation;
- One pilot-project shall be implemented for the solutions of adaptation to climate change of the “Transport” vulnerable sector in Sibiu. This pilot-project refers to the development of the infrastructure needed for underground cable laying, both electrical and telecommunication-specific ones, with a total length of 10.019 meters, designed to cover the following streets in Sibiu: Victoriei Boulevard (1.606 meters), V. Milea Boulevard (1.756 meters), Coposu Boulevard (1.044 meters ), Soseaua Alba Iulia (2.586 meters) and Calea Dumbravii (3.027 meters);
- shall be responsible for planting of 30 trees in well-defined bus stops part of the above-mentioned bus routes;
- shall be responsible for organizing public procurement procedures in accordance with national legislation (as specified by Government Emergency Order No. 34/2006, etc.), in order to conclude Feasibility Studies, Technical Projects and ensure provision of supplies and works.
The activity carried out in this project will contribute to achieving the main objective by developing strategies and action plans in the field of climate change adaptation at the level of Sibiu municipality. This pilot project represents a set of specific and practical measures related to climate change adaptations, all part of the action plan dealing with adaptation that could serve as models of best practices in the vulnerable “Transport” sector.
Tg. Mures City Hall - Address: Tg. Mureş, Piata Victoriei No. 3, acting as follows within this project:
- provides for relevant information in order to have local strategies elaborated and the action plan concerning climate changes in Tg. Mures as well. Consequent to drafting the above-mentioned action plan, the municipality shall make all necessary arrangements in order to get additional approval prior to its implementation;
Brasov City Hall - Address: Brasov, Eroilor Bd. No. 8, acting as follows within this project:
- provides for relevant information in order to have local strategies elaborated and the action plan concerning climate changes in Brasov as well. Consequent to drafting the above-mentioned action plan, the municipality shall make all necessary arrangements in order to get additional approval prior to its implementation;
"Lucian Blaga" University of Sibiu, Faculty of Engineering - Address: Sibiu, Victoriei Bd, No.10 acting as follows within this project:
- contributes to the development of a training module for students in this field, which shall afterwards be included and taught as part of the curriculum in faculties, as related to the specific academic specializations in the field of climate change adaptation and vulnerability of specific sectors towards the above-mentioned changes;
- one postgraduate training course with 20 learners attending, initiated to improve the attendants‘ knowledge related to climate change adaptation;
- A local traffic survey shall be developed in order to have the traffic efficiency accurately evaluated at the level of Sibiu municipality and alternative routes will be identified as an instrument for extreme situations and unpredictable phenomena, that shall further on be used for the elaboration of the action plan for the vulnerable transport sector – as an integral part of the strategy.